I’ve had friends and coworkers ask me over the years, how can you read it so many times? I have lost count, but I think a few of the books in the series are at 10 reads each, with the last few at only 3 each because I was saddened by the story and that it was ending.
I know, I know! Harry and his friends are book characters, but after so many reads they are my friends too. So here are some answers I have given to the questions…why should I read it again?
1. Harry is a courageous, inspiring kid who doesn’t let his problems or challenges keep him from enjoying any blessings that come his way. Even those blessings in the form of giants who knock down a door and sit on his birthday cake. Cake is good no matter who sits on it (if it’s in a box anyway).
2. Hermione is all kinds of awesomesauce. She’s super smart, doesn’t stress about her hair, and fixes her own teeth saving thousands in orthodontics.
3. I love Dumbledore and I think we might have been good friends. I like lemon drops, an office full of interesting books and magical birds just as he did but I would have to say no to the idea of having a career that resulted in several broken noses.
4. Professor McGonnegal. She’s the bomb. Talents: fabulous Scottish accent, can turn herself into a cat, and doesn’t put up with anything from anyone.
5. Those feasts! Every Christmas feast, Halloween feast, back to school feast, or party has the most amazing food. I want to try butterbeer, treacle tart, and maybe even a rock cake. I don’t know if I have the enthusiasm for pumpkin treats the wizarding world does, but I am game to try.
7. George and Fred Weasley are the most amazingly talented prankster twins to ever live. And they have red hair. BAM.
9. If you aren’t nice in the books by JK Rowling there are consequences. You may end up with a curly pig’s tail, blow up like a ballon and blow away, or your tongue may grow to the size of a large snake while still in your mouth.
10. Friendship is an important theme throughout all of the books- an idea most young people understand even if the adults in their lives don’t. From the friendships between Harry, Hermione and Ron to those between Harry’s father and his besties we see the incredible effects our friends have on our lives. All the more reason to choose them carefully.
Are you game to reread a Harry or two and find your own reasons for enjoying them another time around?
These are the British edition covers. I prefer the American art, but I liked reading the British editions to see the differences in everyday conversations! If you are a fan you should give it a go.